If you wish to keep bees, you must also be prepared – at some point – to be stung. A fact of life.
It is advisable that you should learn how to remove a bee sting quickly. This will help to reduce the effect of the sting. Local members of your bee keeping association will be able to give you a helping hand with this.
For most people – reaction to a bee sting – will be minor. Typically you might experience some pain lasting for a few minutes and some swelling that might persist for a day or so. The amount of swelling would depend on the part of the body that was affected by the sting. It is worth to note that some people – about 1 in every 200 will react severely and may need medical help. Sometimes even URGENTLY. If you do not know how to react to a sting, take special care the first time you are stung – perhaps even seeking medical assistance if swelling or reaction occurs. Always wear a veil to avoid stings to the face – in particular protecting your eyes!
It is advisable to undertake a first aid course and to carry emergency medication if you or your friends or family members are sensitive or allergic to bee stings.